Shoji & Kumiko: 85 Vintage Designs 1930. ISBN: 9781087817187
- Paypal Direct From Toolemera Press
- $22.00 USD Free Shipping US, UK, EU, AU
- Wholesale quoted at discount
Amazon (an Affiliate link)
Shoji & Kumiko: 85 Vintage Designs
Shoji: A Japanese screen or sliding door used to partition living spaces.
Kumiko: A decorative and practical Japanese woodworking system consisting of lattice pieces held together through precision joinery lacking any nails or other metal supports.
- Publisher: Gary Roberts DBA The Toolemera Press
- Pages: 92
- Specifications: 8.5" x 11" (280 x 216 mm). Perfect Bound on 70 lb White paper
- Gloss Laminated Trade Paperback cover
- Content: Grayscale 300 dpi images printed on commercial color inkjet printers for best image reproduction.
- Printed and distributed by IngramSpark
- ISBN: 9781087817187
Produced by yours truly, Gary Roberts, Publisher of the Toolemera Press imprint, from the original in my personal collection.
The original book was published in Japan, c1930, as a commercial architect's proposal for Shoji panels featuring Kumiko designs.
The visual balanced complexity of these designs is what attracted me to the book. Yet, upon reflection, that complexity results in balanced simplicity, in a calming effect when viewed as a whole. You'll note that some of the Shoji panels feature pictorial designs that balance the eye catching movement inherent in Kumiko. The addition of the illustrated panels is pure Japanese design aesthetics: balance nature with the man made construct.