Without a doubt, this is a printer's proof of a c1828 trade card.
- c1828 William Betts, From Sheffield, Manufacturer Of Saws Of Every Description. Ladies Elastic Busks of all kinds. No. 10 Court Ludgate Hill, Birmingham.
- Original and uncut Trade Card Printers Proof. The only Betts trade card or printers proof that I know of.
- Letterpress printed. Features illustrations of a Hand Saw, Pit Saw, Circular Saw and Mulley or Up & Down Saw.
- Moderate foxing that is lighter than appears in photographs. Clear and sharp letterpress image with block indentation around the card.
- 8.5" x 5.25" paper sheet. 4.25" x 2.5" trade card imprint.
EBAY AUCTION: In addition to this post, provided for your edification and enjoyment, the William Betts trade card printer's proof is up for auction at Ebay.
From the 1849 Birmingham History:
Betts, William & Co., saw, plane, joiners' and edge tool manufacturers, 58 Ludgate Hill.
From the Oldtools List Archives regarding an initial time line of British Sawmakers,
1828-9 (_Pigot & Co.'s National Commercial Directory_) Betts Wm., 41 Water St. Betts Wm., 10 Court, Ludgate Hill
Till next, Gary